My Favourite Superfood: Spirulina!
If there’s one thing I cannot live without, it’s a quality bottle of spirulina. Haven’t heard of this amazing “superfood?” Let me give you a run down with a few fast facts:
- Spirulina is a natural blue-green algae powder that is incredible high in protein, healthy essential fats and nutrients.
- Made up of protein and essential amino acids and incredibly rich in iron so it’s suitable for all diets especially for vegetarians and vegans.
- Very high in Chlorophyll, which helps remove toxins from the blood and boost the immune system.
- Spirulina is said to be the most nutritious food source known to humans and has been used all over the world for centuries for both its nutritional density and its medicinal properties.
- Spirulina is also high in calcium with over 26 times the calcium in milk!
- It balances pH levels to reduce inflammation, the root of many diseases.
When choosing spirulina, always make sure it’s 100% pure and organic – no additives or preservatives. You want the best quality spirulina in order to fully reap the amazing benefits it has to offer. My favourite and trusted brand is by Nutrex Hawaii. Their all natural products are highly digestible and they provide a variety of options to consume spirulina. The most popular way to take it is by consuming it in powder form or tablet form. Personally, I like doing both. The powder is great to add in your everyday smoothie, blends and juices, whereas the tablets can easily be taken daily as a supplement. You can try adding the powder in a glass of water but most people (me being one of them) have a hard time downing it. It’s not the most pleasant tasting!
Their spirulina powder is so versatile that I decided to put it in a savory cracker recipe. It’s an easy way to get your daily dose of spirulina while enjoying a healthy and tasty treat at the same time! These crispy crackers are not only packed with spirulina’s super powers, they’re also gluten/wheat free, sugar free, sodium free, vegan and low in carbs. You won’t find anything like this at your grocery store!
What you’ll need:
1 cup of organic blanched almond flour (I always use JK Gourmet)
1/2 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons of cold water
3 teaspoons of raw sunflower seeds
1 teaspoon of Simply Organic’s Italian Seasoning (My FAVOURITE seasoning of all time!)
1 teaspoon of Nutrex Hawaii Pure Spirulina Powder
1/2 teaspoon of organic garlic or onion powder
Some cracked black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and thoroughly mix. Alternatively, you can put it in a food processor! Remove the dough and form into a ball with your hands. Place the ball in between two sheets of parchment paper then roll to a 1/8 thickness with a rolling pin. The thinner it is, the crispier it will be! But it might be a little more delicate.
Remove one of the parchment papers and cut the dough into desired square shapes. You can use a pizza cutter for this. Place in oven and bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for several minutes and carefully break the crackers apart. If you have a dehydrator, you can put them in for 24 hours on a low setting and flipping them halfway in between. Store in a sealed container to maintain freshness. However, I highly doubt they’ll make it to the next day! Enjoy. x
Leave a Reply